Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mouthguard Q&A with Dr. Stevens

Wouldn’t you believe it, summer is just around the corner! The summer months, however, bring an increase in outdoor activities and a greater chance of kids damaging their precious mouths and pearly whites. If you play sports, it's important that you consult Dr. Lucas Stevens for special precautions, such as wearing a mouth guard. A protective mouth guard is advised for playing spring sports such as baseball, soccer, lacrosse and many others.

Q: How can I help prevent my teeth from becoming chipped or broken while I play sports this summer?

Please wear an orthodontic mouthguard, designed for braces. Ask us for one during your next appointment if you do not already have one.

Q: If I’m hit in the mouth, and a tooth gets knocked out, what can/should I do? What should I do if I am injured on a weekend when the office is closed?

Call your dentist immediately.

Q: Can my teeth be fixed if they are chipped, broken or knocked out?


Absolutely - dentists can fix teeth that need to be repaired.

Q: Are sports drinks bad for my teeth? What can I drink to stay hydrated and keep my teeth healthy?

H20 is always the best, but if you like drinks with sugar, please be sure to brush or rinse with water when you take your last sip.

Q: If I wear Invisalign aligners, will they help protect my teeth, or do I still need to wear a mouth guard?

Always use a mouthguard while playing contact sports.

Q: Can I still play sports while wearing my retainer, or is it best to take it out?

Keeping your retainer in is best, but if it needs to come out - please remember to put back in your mouth ASAP! We don't want those straight beautiful teeth to shift.

Q: Can I still wear a mouth guard with braces?

Yes, please ask us for one if you need it. We have special ones just for braces that allow your teeth to move while you wear them. Please don't buy the mouthguards that you boil yourself - they will not allow your teeth to move because they mould to your teeth.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about mouth protection or your treatment at Stevens Orthodontics!

No comments: